With schools closed throughout the world many parents are searching for additional resources that are worthwhile for kids to explore. One suggestion that I received from a blog follower is to explore the Virtual Museum resources of some of the most famous museums in the world. Your kids can spend countless hours exploring these worldwide resources. You can visit them all in one day or one or two a day. Alone or with a partner, kids and parents are bound to see and learn interesting facts about our world.
As we face these uncertain times, we might as well use the time wisely and learn while sheltering in place. Be safe everyone.
5 Virtual Museum Tours in the United States
- The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History – Located in Washington, D.C it is one of the most visited museums in the world. The online virtual tour brings visitors on a walking tour of its many famous exhibits. Be sure to check out the Hall of Mammals, Insect Zoo, and Dinosaurs.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art – The Met is in New York City and is home to over 2 million works of fine art. Check out the online collection and virtual tours of some of its most impressive pieces from famous artists. The Met also works with the Google Cultural Institute to make even more artwork (that’s not featured in its own online collection) available for view.
- NASA offers free virtual tours of the Langley Research Center in Virginia, as well as Ohio’s Glenn Research Center. While exploring space, you can also download the new app for the Houston Space Center that provides virtual tours and videos.
- The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York City makes some of its collections and exhibits available online. Be sure to check out the works of Pablo Picasso and Jeff Koons, two of my favorites.
- The National Women’s History Museum is located in Alexandria, Virginia. The museum includes online exhibits and oral histories that highlight the role of women in the history and culture of the United States.
2 Virtual Museum Tours in Europe
The Louvre is in Paris, France and is one of the world’s largest art museums. Check out the free online tours of the popular exhibits such as Egyptian antiquities and works from Michelangelo.
The Vatican Museums feature an extensive collection of important art and classical sculptures. Be sure to check out the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Beautiful!
Enjoy! Happy Travels!