One thing I quickly realized when I started teaching gifted learners was that I had to design lessons that were interesting and suitable for fast learners. I also needed great sites to find appropriate activities.
Teachers and parents often look for resources available to meet the gifted learners in their lives. Personally, I’ve searched for information as a teacher of Talented and Gifted (TAG) students, a principal and now, as a GG. Whatever the reason, there are MANY resources available to give you information and activities for your gifted learner. The websites below will help you meet the needs of your special learners at home and school.
Top 7 Resources for Gifted Learners
- Hoagies’ Gifted Education: I’ve used this site and have shared the link with many parents. Contains an extensive list of resources for teachers, parents and students. It also is a great resource if you are looking for a gifted and talented community for support. One stop shopping.
- National Association of Gifted Children: Take a close look at the Information and Publications tab for resources for administrators, parents and educators. Be sure to use the Search Link to find your topic.
- Smithsonian Education – One of my favorite sites to explore because it expands a general topic to meet the needs of gifted students.
- Mensa for Kids – The Mensa Foundation recognizes and encourages education, gifted youth and lifelong learning. Be sure to check out the Mensa for Kids’ Excellence in reading that encourages the joy of reading. Lesson plans are available along with fun and challenging games for kids.
- Davidson Institute for Talent Development: Provides a FREE online community for elementary and secondary educators committed to meeting the unique needs of highly gifted students. In the section called Educator’s Guild and you’ll find lesson plans, techniques and other related topics.
- Bright Hub Education – Site is geared towards gifted teachers, but it’s a great resource for regular classroom teachers with gifted students. Provides tips and lesson plans for gifted students from Preschool through Grade 12.
- Know It All – Fun, Fun, Fun: Great website to keep kids learning and having fun. Site has many lesson plans, student activities and supplemental materials. Be sure to check out Resources. A new link (September 2019) will be added with activities for South Carolina (SC) standards. Not to worry, if you’re not from SC. State standards are very similar. words and numbering are different).