Reading levels in classrooms can vary which makes it difficult for teachers to find resources to meet the needs of all their students. It is important to give students information at reading levels that they can understand and build confidence. Using leveled texts are important to student success.
Finding materials at a student’s “just right” level is beneficial for struggling readers, English Language Learners (ELLS) and students with high abilities. The Good News is you do not have to create your own different versions. Check out the resources below for assistance.
6 FREE Leveled Texts Resources
- Newsela – I have shared this resource before and I think it still is one of the best sites. The free site provides several “levels” of the same newspaper article, along with online quizzes. Spanish translations are also available for some of the articles. Additionally, for a small fee, teachers can also create a virtual classroom, assign articles, and monitor student progress. Spanish translations are also available for some of the articles.
- Tweentribune- Classroom teachers can register for a FREE membership. Each weekday, the site posts age-appropriate news stories to interest students in Grades 1-12. Each story is edited multiple times for different reading levels. The stories also have self-scoring quizzes and students can post comments. Quiz scores are delivered automatically to teachers and all comments are approved by their teachers before they are published.
- For the Teachers – FREE teacher resources for effective instruction. Leveled articles are available for download.
- CommonLit is a FREE online reading program in English and Spanish that helps students develop comprehension and writing skills. Teachers can access a collection of over 2,0000 high-quality, high-interest reading passages that are created for different reading levels. Articles cover a range of subject matter and include assessment questions to evaluate comprehension. 100% FREE for teachers, students, and parents.
- ReadWorks – Offers FREE content, curriculum, and tools to power teaching and learning from Kindergarten to 12th grade. ReadWorks is continuing to offer expanded support for educators and families facing interrupted learning during the 2020-2021 school year. Check out the educator and family resources.
Learn with News provides FREE English learning material on news stories. Stories are written in 3 versions at different Lexile levels. (Levels 1,2,3)