Monthly Math Enrichment
Welcome to the first month of threeringsconnections.org Monthly Math Enrichment Problems post, Each month I will post some Math Enrichment problems for grades 2-3. I hope you will find them useful with your students in class or your kids at home.
Which Strategies Will You Use?
When solving math problems try one of the 6 common strategies listed below:
- Draw a picture
- Guess and Check
- Use a table or list
- Find a pattern
- Logical reasoning
- Working backwards (try a simpler version first)
Math Enrichment Problems – Here we go!
- Teagan’s brother is now 8 years old, two years ago she was old as he is now. How old will Teagan be in 5 years?
- Declan spent 18.00 on baseball cards. This is twice as much as Meghan and Lowyn spent together. Meghan spent $4.00. How much did Lowyn spend?
- Marian, Cole, Kelly and Donna were invited to a party. Marian did not arrive last. Kelly arrived after Cole but before Donna. Kelly did not arrive right after Cole. Of the 4 of them Marian was the ____ to arrive.
- Abby bought as many 24-cent hair ribbons as she could with her $5. How much change did Abby receive.
- Matt has 35 quarters in his collection. If he puts 7 quarters in each row, how many rows of quarters will he have?
- Chris is Kelly’s brother. Chris has one brother. Kelly has twice as many sisters as brothers. How many children are in the family?
- Connall eats breakfast at 6am and lunch at noon. When it is ____ it is twice as much time until lunch as it has been since breakfast. a) 7am b) 10am c) 8am d) 5pm
Math Enrichment Problems- Answers:
- Teagan is now 10 and in 5 years she will be 15 years old.
- Half of $18 is $9.00. Meghan spent $4. Lowyn spent $9 – $4 = $5.00
- 2nd. Kelly had to be 2nd or 3rd (after Cole but before Donna),. Since Kelly did not arrive right after Cole, Cole arrived first, Kelly 3rd and Donna last. That leaves Marian to arrive 2nd.
- She bought 20 ribbons 20 X .$24 – $4.80. $5.00-$4.80 = $.20.
- 35-7= 28-7 = 21-7 =14-7 =7-7 =0 there will be 5 rows 0f 7 quarters.
- If Chris has one brother than Kelly has tow brothers. Since she has twice as many sisters as brothers. Kelly has 4 sisters. In the family there is a total of 7 children. The seven children are Kelly’s 2 brothers + her 4 sisters + Kelly.
- c) 8am is 4 hours from noon and 2 hours from 8am
Try some of the problems today with your child. Once solved, create for them a similar problem by changing the numbers. This gives them an opportunity to try the problem again to reinforce their new skills. This strategy helps them solve the problem easier each time which will build their math confidence. Enjoy!
Other posts related to this topic
Math Enrichment Problems: Dec. Grades 2-3 December 15, 2018
Math Enrichment: How To Encourage? December 13, 2018
Enrichment in Class? Is Your Child Being Challenged? December 4, 2018
Highly-abled students need attention too! September 17, 2018