Math Enrichment activities should teach kids to solve problems using strategies that promote thinking. These activities are perfect for those kids that need math problems that go beyond calculation skills. For those kids we need to nurture a love of math while challenging them to deepen their mathematical understanding and thinking skills. Try some of the problems this month to challenge their thinking.
Don’t forget to use 1 of your 6 problem solving strategies
- Draw a picture
- Guess and Check
- Use a table or list
- Find a pattern
- Logical reasoning
- Draw a picture Working backwards (try a simpler version first)
Math Enrichment Problems:
- 8 adults, 6 children and 4 dogs went to a concert. Tickets cost $7 for adults, $5 for children and $3 for dogs. What was the cost for everyone to go to the concert?
- Abby went on a picnic with her sisters. She bought 7 apples for $1.25 each, 7 sandwiches for $3.75 each, and 7 desserts for $1.95 each. How much did Abby spend on the picnic?
- Meghan bought 12 boxes of donuts that each had 12 donuts. How many donuts did Meghan buy?
- Emmy bought 12 mice for $1.02 each. How much did Emmy spend on mice?
- Teagan earned $2 helping her mom fold the laundry. If she earned $2 every day, how much would she earn in a year. (HINT: There are 365 days in a year)
- If 12 people each weigh 100 pounds. What is there total weight?
- 144 donuts
- $12.24 total
- 1200 pounds