April 8th is National Zoo Lovers Day and although COVID-19 has most of us staying home, there are many zoos and aquariums to discover online. I’ve posted about zoos and encouraged webcam watching. Unfortunately, the animals aren’t always doing something when the kids stop by to view! So, here’s a few more zoo links that might have animals doing something fun when you “drop by” to see them.
National Zoo Day Facts
- The first public zoo in the United States was the Central Park Zoo in New York which opened in 1874.
- The oldest zoo is the Vienna Zoo and was opened in 1765.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom has had almost 10 million visitors.
Zoo and Aquarium Live Cams
- Atlanta Zoo– Along with the panda webcam, the zoo also has a large collection of “At Home” lessons. Lessons are easy-to-use and include a wide variety of activities for kids of all ages. Check out the Panda Cam https://zooatlanta.org/panda-cam/
- Houston Webcams: Check out the webcams that watch 7 different animals that call the Houston Zoo home. Kids will love seeing chimpanzees, giraffes, flamingos, rhinos, chimps, elephants, gorillas and ants.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Explore the wonders of the ocean through the lens of ten live cams.
- National Aquarium in Baltimore, Maryland has a live cam of jellyfish and the Blacktip Reef and Pacific Coral Reef. I like that they include photos of fish to look for while you are viewing the webcam.
- A group of deer is called a? Herd
- How many legs does a spider have? 8
- Which animal has the highest blood pressure? Giraffe
- The largest mammal in the world? Blue whale
- Name the only animal which cannot jump? Elephant
- How many heart chambers does a cockroach have? 12
- Which bird is a universal symbol of peace? Dove
- The fingerprints of which animal most resemble a human’s? A koala
- A mandrill is what kind of animal? A monkey
- A snail can sleep for how many years? Three
- All six legs of an ant are attached to what part of the body? thorax
- A group of lions is called a? Pride
- Name the slowest animal in the world? Three-toed sloth
- Dogs only have sweat glands in their? Paws
- Which animal never sleeps? Bullfrog