There are many advantages of puppet play with kids and they are quick and easy to make. Your puppets don’t have to be marionettes or ready for Sesame Street. Kids love dramatic play and we all know how young kids can make “talking characters” out of pretty much all their toys. So, let’s be good to ourselves and make puppetry easy for us to tackle so we can enjoy those special moments with our kids. No puppet “stage”, no problem. All you need is something (large or small) for your little puppet master to hide behind that allows their character to be seen. Then, you are “on with the show”.
Puppets Everywhere Using Everything
- Sock puppets – Perfect use for those socks without a match! Add a face with markers and you are ready to go. Once again, scraps only add to the creativity.
- Stick puppets– Add some faces on craft sticks or even an emery board. Craft scraps or googly eyes are a nice addition but not necessary.
- Paper bag puppets – Drawing a face to the bottom of the bag and adding some teeth, and a tongue into the folder part and your talking puppet is ready to go. Draw some clothes on the bottom of the bag and you can make all types of characters.
- Mitten puppets – Lost mitten use. Yes, crafts scraps (wool, buttons) can be added but not necessary.
- Oven mittens – Yes, I’ve had my oven mittens talk with NO ADDITIONAL decorations! No planning just some basic puppet talking with the grandkids. They now come in different sizes and textures and perfect to make different characters. They even have small size now which are perfect for little hands.
- Paper plate puppets – Paper plates are not just for picnics. They are perfect to draw a face on and tape them on silverware or large serving utensils.
- Shadow puppets – No materials, no problem. Use your hands and fingers to make shadow puppets on a wall. Hold your hand between a light source and wall and “see” what puppet characters you can make.
Quick, fun and easy ways to keep those kids in your lives busy. Enjoy!
Other posts related to this topic:
- Puppets Are Good for Kids