I LOVE this site. ReadWorks is Amazon shopping for EVERY type of teacher! Everything that you need to support your student’s comprehension. It’s all in one place and FREE.
ReadWorks is a nonprofit that provides K-12 teachers with nonfiction and literary articles that support reading comprehension and vocabulary learning. Resources are easy-to-use, research-based, and FREE (I guess I said that enough). Articles are leveled for reading instruction and can be printed, used digitally or projected on a Smartboard.
- Reading Passages
- Over 5000 K-12 passages
- Search by grade or by Lexile
- Written by experts, curated by educators
- On curriculum topics
- Questions Sets
- Text-based questions
- Multiple choice and written answer questions
- Explicit and inferential questions that build a deeper understanding of the important elements of a text
- Carefully selected, high-impact words
- Multiple definitions and authentic sentence examples
- Practice with word families and metacognition
- A 10-minute daily routine that dramatically increases background knowledge, vocabulary, and reading stamina
- Paired Texts
- Two texts related by topic or theme
- Question sets to draw connections and comparisons
- Step Reads
- Less complex versions of original passages.
- Designed to provide access for struggling students.
- Preserve the integrity of the original text, including vocabulary, knowledge, and length.
- Lessons and Units
- Based on trade books.
- Support instruction of longer texts.
- Include complete lesson plans with guided practice and independent practice.
- Student Tools
- Audio versions of all reading content
- Ability to highlight, annotate and adjust text size.
ReadWorks encourages teachers to share their resources with other colleagues. Pass it on!