The Smithsonian History Explorer is a web site designed to help K-12 teachers quickly find and use hundreds of standards-based classroom activities, interactive games, and other resources. Resources are from the National Museum of American History and are matched to the National Standards of History. Topics can be searched by resource type, grade level, historical era, and/or cross-curricular connections. Visitors can also choose to browse content using the following categories:
Smithsonian Explorer Links
- Lessons & Activities are all standards-based and can be printed, emailed, and shared.
- Interactives & Media features audio, video, and interactive resources, many designed to be used by students independently.
- Museum Artifacts – Browse collections to use for object-based learning.
- Books – Teachers or students can search for related books by keyword and filter by era, reading level, and genre. Bilingual editions can be searched as well.
- Web Links – Additional links to other websites.
- Themes – The site includes major themes in America history including:
- A Nation We Build Together
- American Experiments
- Protest and Civic Action, the Civil Rights Movement
- The American Revolution and World Wars
- Presidential History, Politics and Voting
- STEM Resources
- Westward Expansion
- Hispanic Heritage Month
- Teaching with Drama
- Agriculture History
Exploring the Smithsonian website is definitely worth the time.