Growing up, St. Patrick’s Day for my family was not one day a year. We were Irish all year. It was who we were and what we did. Irish Music on the radio every Sunday afternoon and Irish Step Dance lessons were a way of life. When my dad referred to “the holiday” we all knew he was talking about St. Patrick’s Day.
As a teacher and principal, I found the wearing of green clothing, gold coins and leprechaun traps to be a great day of fun for the entire school community. Now, as a grandparent, I want my grandkids to join in the fun but a “wee bit of Irish info” is a good thing too.
For my trivia team friends, check out the answers below. Maybe we’ll see some questions about “the holiday” this week.
10 Easy St. Patrick’s Day Trivia Questions
- St. Patrick is the patron saint of what country? Ireland
- What animal did St. Patrick drive out of Ireland? Snakes
- What’s the color you usually associate with Ireland and St. Patrick’s Day? Green
- What is the good luck symbol associated with St. Patrick’s Day? Four leaf clover
- What are the small, mischievous spirits called? Leprechauns
- What does the shamrock symbolize? The Holy Trinity
- Something you kiss to get the “gift of the gab”? Blarney Stone
- Which of these meals is often eaten in America on St. Patrick’s Day? corned beef and cabbage
- What you might find after it rains if you’re luck? Pot of Gold
- What does Chicago dye to celebrate St. Paddy’s Day? River
12 Challenging St. Patrick’s Day Trivia Questions
- What was the first official color of St. Patrick’s Day? Sky Blue
- What color is the flag of Ireland? white, orange, and green.
- What do the colors of the Irish flag represent? Orange is for the protestants, the green for the Catholics and the white represents the hope for peace between Catholics and Protestants
- Where did the first St. Patrick’s Day parade take place? New York City in 1762
- What symbol appears on Irish coins? Harp
- What didn’t flow on St. Paddy’s Day for most of the 20th century? Beer
- What is the color named Ireland’s nickname? Emerald – The Emerald Isle
- What do you get if you don’t wear green on St. Paddy’s Day? A pinch
- Which American St. Patrick’s Day tradition began as an accident? dyeing rivers green
- What will kissing the Blarney Stone bring you? eloquence
- What is the Hibernian Society? A charitable group that helps Irish Immigrants
- What country was St. Patrick born in? England
Great Resources to Teach About St. Patrick’s Day
- TeacherVision: Always a great site and a “go to” for me to find great resources. Check out the collection of resources that are easy to use for St. Patrick’s Day
- PBS LearningMedia: Great site for classroom resources. Check out the collection of resources to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.